Monday, August 25, 2014

Week 2 Reading Diary: Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche

These are my notes from the Apuleius's Cupid and Psyche unit.

The Captive Woman: There is so much detail describing the hunger and thirst of the character, Lucius the man turned into a donkey, and the details of poverty driving robbers to such lengths is deep. The poor girl, though! It really caught me off guard when she lost her wits and violently hurt herself! The old woman was brutal at the end when threatening the rich captive!

Her Dream: Okay... So she had a dream of being kidnapped on her wedding day. It is a sad dream to be ripped from your lover's arms and to see him murdered. The old woman began telling her to fear not and begins the story. I'm ready for more!

Psyche's Beauty: I love the references to the goddess Venus and the detail of her coming forth from the sea, even though it's just about her beauty. Even more so, I love that Venus herself became angry at being compared to a mere human. I was very surprised at her wish for vengeance on Psyche though! Psyche is in for real trouble.

The Oracle of Apollo: I feel so bad for Psyche because beauty alone does not get her happiness!Lead your daughter, King, to her fatal marriage.
That line really caught my attention. I love the tragedy in it. In fact, the whole reply was creepy. The whole funeral was pretty creepy too with a red veil and a funeral description. I'm wondering what is going to happen to Psyche... The demon children will be an interesting read if that is really in her future!

The Magical Palace: I love the detail of the palace, divine and godly. I feel like this is trap though, since the invisible servant told her all the riches and the palace are hers. She's being treated as if she were Venus herself.

The Mysterious Husband: Not knowing who your husband is could really be nerve-racking... Psyche was given just one piece of advice, not to call to her sisters. But the husband allowed her such wishes, with new advice... She is tempting fate by demanding so much and tricking him into agreeing!

The Jealousy of Psyche's Sisters: Uh-oh, the inquisitive questions from the sisters began... Jealousy of their sister's wealth and home is going to lead to bad times. They are cruel with the things they say, wanting to punish Psyche for the lie she told them about a handsome husband.

Psyche's Husband Warns Her: Wow, this story just got really dark. Psyche's wicked sisters are really planning to murder her?! I do, however, love the references to the Harpies, Sirens, and Furies. I wish she would listen to her husband and take his advice! She keeps talking him into giving her what she wants but I know it is going to lead her to harm, especially seeing her evil sisters again.

Fears and Doubts: Did I mention I love Zephyr? Such an awesome entity. Psyche really should have kept her story straight, because her sisters are on to her lies about her husband! It would be easy to be convinced of the tale Apollo gave her since she trusts her sisters still. Psyche, do not listen to them! Unmasking him will lead to woe.

Psyche's Husband Revealed: I knew it! Cupid is actually a very attractive man and is her husband. I was a bit shocked at the end when he revealed that he betrayed Venus and married her instead of harming her. I knew all along that if she had just heeded his advice, her life would have been much happier! Oh, the cruel irony!

Psyche's Despair: I am happy that the stream responded to her attempt at her life, because it really forms a bit of bittersweet irony to the whole story. The arrival of Pan and Echo made me excited! I love the mythology so much. The fact that she used her sisters' jealousy against them is awesome, although very disturbing since her sisters jumped over the cliff and died thinking they would be Cupid's next love. That was so dark!

Part 2

Venus and the Goddesses: Oh my gosh! How angry Venus was to find out Cupid had fallen for Psyche! She told him off and threatened to give his goods to a slave, ouch! Then she even threatened to break his bow and arrows and ruin his looks. She did not appreciate that Juno and Ceres defended Cupid's love for Psyche.

Psyche's Prayer: Psyche found Ceres in the temple on the mountain. I honestly think Psyche is a sweet girl, since she sorted the temple's harvests. I felt so bad for Psyche as she pleaded for shelter from Venus and Ceres turned her away because of their friendship! Even Juno denied her request for safety, because Venus is her daughter-in-law and their laws prevent her! Poor Psyche!

Venus and Mercury: I love the description of Venus' chariot, made by Vulcan himself. The Heavens are described some splendidly. We finally meet Mercury, the messenger god! The reward for finding Psyche made me laugh. Everyone would go crazy for kisses from Venus. I'm fearful for Psyche now that she turned herself in.

Venus and Psyche: Anxiety and Sorrow sound like very terrible servants to have. I had forgotten that Psyche was carrying a child. I feel terrible that she has been tortured and flogged. Venus is so cruel, assigning her such an impossible task after hurting her so much... I love the ants, taking pity of poor Psyche and helping her.

Psyche's Next Task: Together but apart, the lovers remain. It really aches my heart! Psyche's next task is to retrieve the golden wool of the sheep in the forest... What could go wrong? I love that the nature and the animals are taking pity on Psyche and keep helping her. The green reed told her how to get the fleece from the branches it is stuck on. Of course, Venus continues to give Psyche impossible tasks, next sending her to Styx and Cocytus to retrieve the liquids.

Task Accomplished: Jupiter's favorite royal eagle, Providence, comes to aid Psyche before she can attempt to commit suicide once again or attempt to get the liquid from the river... I see a pattern here. Providence is a buddy to Cupid. He takes the phial and claimed to the river that he collected on Venus' request, and thus he retrieved the freezing liquid for Psyche. What a nice eagle!

Jar of Beauty: Here we go to the underworld, all board! We get to meet Proserpine finally. Psyche once again wants to throw herself from a high place, but likewise is told by the turret to chill. It explains to her to go to Achaean Sparta, which is a super cool name. All the names are cool. There's a portal there. The barley-cake soaked in honeyed wine and two coins in the mouth are weird, but it's for Charon.  He explains that all the traps Venus have set for her by not following close instructions. I seriously hope she doesn't open the no-no jar of divine beauty...

The Sleep of the Dead: But of course she did... Jeez, Psyche. She was put in a Stygian sleep. Cupid, however, wakes her before it's too late and keeps her from ruining her chances again. Cupid asks Jupiter support in being with Psyche, but he has to offer another girl of outstanding beauty...

The Wedding Feast: Jupiter blesses their marriage, finally! Psyche is brought to Heaven and Venus is told to stop being cruel, because it will be legitimate. She drinks ambrosia and they are forever together. Their daughter was named Pleasure. I love it. Now we are back to the old lady and the kidnapped noble, but now we are hearing it again from Lucius the donkey's perspective. I am concerned the robbers want to end his life since he's an old donkey!

The Escape: That old lady has some guts. If it were me, I would've let go and let the run away donkey disappear into the night! It really does remind me of Hercules. The kidnapped girl hops on, and off they go! The ending is so funny, because she promises him fortune and shelter if he returns her home, and she makes references to the tale of Psyche. She guessed it right, the donkey concealed a human!

No comments:

Post a Comment