Sunday, September 21, 2014

Week 5: Famous Last Words

I decided that I should really discuss the importance of this class in relation to my other courses and my future goals. I am thoroughly enjoying this class because it is allowing me to expand my creative outlets, especially writing and I feel as if I am able to let my imagination roam again. This is so important because currently I volunteer with children and also work with children in my photography, so being able to explore creativity and imaginative arts helps me connect with those kids as well.

Everyone remembers being kids. We were SO thoughtful, creative, fun, and imaginative. The daunting experience of college can sometimes keep us logical and analytic and I feel as if I really lost touch of my creative side for a very long time. After getting involved in photography, writing, reading, and art again, it is really helping me enjoy this outlet.

I am hoping to get more involved in arts in school. I have been looking around for opportunities around campus that will open my creative thinking more, but I am not sure where to look further. I have started reading more in my free time, especially fantasy based genres, but I think I would like to be able to socialize in a creative scene. I considered enrolling in some form of art class next semester with some of my free time or even pursuing musical talents.

This blogging and writing has really made me interested in furthering my writing capabilities. I am exited to create new and entertaining stories, so maybe I should consider a class next semester about creative writing. I get a little bogged down when I hit a slump and get into "writer's block," so I think it would be beneficial to continue searching for these opportunities I've been pondering. It is just a few options!

The artist's tools.
(Image Information: Artist Toolbox by See-ming Lee (2009). Web Source: Flickr.)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Des! I really like the positive approach that you are taking towards this class. I know that it can be a bit time consuming, but I completely agree with you regarding it's usefulness in being a creative outlet. Every future profession can benefit from a little creativity and this course gives us the opportunity to improve our right hemispheres! Wonderful prospective and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Des! It's so great to hear that you are making such an effort to reactivate your creative side. It always makes me happy to hear people talking about getting back into art because it is such a freeing experience. If you are looking for a fun writing class, I really recommend JMC 3504, intro to professional writing with Mel Odom. You get to try writing a bunch of things like short stories, comic books, movie scripts, and media reviews. It's a fun class! If you have any questions, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete