Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 7 Famous Last Words

Wow! So this semester has been going by so fast and before I knew it, I was behind! I am going to be going into hyper mode this week to get ahead again. I am definitely hoping to get at least one week ahead in this class so I can keep up without panicking. I guess that is one downfall to being a procrastinator!

I have to say that I love the storybook ideas for this class. I am super happy with my topic selection, the princesses and sad endings. I know that most people long for happy endings but I am good at writing those not so happy ones, so I stuck to my strengths. In fact the recent story I added to my storybook, The Poetess Princess, was by far one of my favorite writings for this semester... It just came to me and that is the best way to write, when you really feel the inspiration and the motivation!

Storybooks.
(Image Information: Books by Chris (2008). Web Source: Flickr.)

Unfortunately I really need to learn to not use so many commas. I think I go overboard with them! Everyone has been very kind in their comments and that has made me very happy that people are interested in my storybook, so I am hoping to brush up my skills so I can please everyone with emotional stories! Hopefully I can find more princess stories that will allow me to be creative, because I am very picky with which stories I choose so I end up spending a lot of time going through them. Maybe that is where I get my inspiration from though, because I always end up picking a story that touches my heart and allows me to come up with twists!

So far I have read a lot of very interesting storybooks from other students and I am really excited to read more. It is a fun project and I hope everyone is enjoying it because not a lot of classes at OU let us be this open and creative!

10 comments:

  1. Desi,

    I definitely understand your dilemma. I am a fellow procrastinator and have to really try to stay on top of things, otherwise I will be behind and completely overwhelmed. I got to read your storybook when you had just posted the intro and I loved it! I definitely should go back and read some more of it for this week or next week! It was such an interesting concept with the stars telling the princess's stories and I like how you are making them have sad endings. It is not your typical princess story that way. I know your difficulty with picking stories. So far I have only been able to pick 3 stories to rewrite that I am completely happy with. If you have any suggestions for a good crime scene within a Grimm fairytale do not hesitate to suggest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To second Chelsey's comment, I do what engineers do best, procrastinate. I had surgery right before this semester started and while I was laying on the couch for a week straight I had nothing better to do than get ahead in this class, but I can't explain how much less stressful being even one week ahead is than just meeting the deadline every night. I laughed at your comma happy statement because I am as well and sometimes I need to just make myself split it up into two sentences to give the reader a break from so many commas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This semester has honestly been a whirlwind! It's so easy to get behind when you feel like you're busy and working on stuff all the time...and there always seems to be more to do! I hope you've managed to get things a little more back to normal, if such a thing as normal exists this semester! I'm glad to hear your storybook is going well and I definitely plan to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there Desi! It is great that you are so confident in your story! I am not the best writer out there, but when I get that momentum going I feel great and so proud of myself afterwards. You should definitely be proud of your work too! I will definitely try to read it next week! I also know what you mean about writing the not-so-happy endings. Those are apart of my strengths too. I like to write them because it adds a different dynamic from the Disney-happily-ever-after endings. Not everything ends well for everyone so it is a bit more realistic. Anyway, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree that this semester is going by so quickly so far! I think that it is really easy to get behind in this class because of the due dates, but I also feel it is so great that we have the option to work ahead! I need to start doing that a little more! I also think the storybook is fun because it allows us to use our imagination in retelling a story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate looking at the semester counter for just that reason, things go by so fast! I don't want to think about it yet, at all. Don't think I've gotten to read your storyboard yet, but it sounds really neat and I think I'll pick it as my free choice this time. And I understand the bit about commas, I REALLLLY like them, like to use them. A lot. Been trying to cut down on that. So I feel your pain, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Desi,
    I feel your pain for getting behind, it seems like everything adds up when you don't expect it and then you get swamped by everything at the same time. I'm glad you found a topic you like for the storybook; writing about something you are enthusiastic about makes the work so much easier than having to spend forever on something you aren't interested in. I hope the project keeps being fun for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi des,
    I understand where you are coming from too. I find myself starting to get a little behind even though I do not want to. It is great that you want to start working ahead. I need to do the same thing because it really is the best think to do. I also have a lot of comma issues too haha. Yes the people have been really nice when responding to our stories. It inspires me to keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Des!

    This semester has gone by so fast, it is crazy to think that the semester is already half over. As a fellow procrastinator, this week has been nice to catch up on some things outside of the class. I love your storybook idea; most tales about princesses that people are familiar with have a happy ending, it is interesting to see the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Des, I think it is awesome to see how passionate you are about your writing. I don't think that I've gotten the chance to read any of your stuff yet, but I'm sure I will enjoy when I do! Try not to stress haha. I'm sure you'll get back on top of everything. Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete