Thursday, November 20, 2014

Week 14 Essay: My Writing Memories

(Image information: "Notepad" by Sam (2009.) Web Source: Flickr.)


Writing has always been a very important aspect of my life. It has been the outlet for my creativity, emotions, thoughts, and more. In a way, it is an art form of its own league because there so many styles and paths you can take with writing. I have noticed what I write now is so much different than when I first started.

I began writing poetry at a young age. My first solid memories of writing come about 9 or 10 years old and my mom would always submit those to those national books and whatnot. I would write poetry about love, family, my country, and more. Over time, especially when I got to my teenage years, my poetry became much more symbolic. It was about religion, my beliefs, my emotions, and my future. When I was in high school I started writing stories. My stories were always about romance and fantasy, which is something I still continue to write about today but with much more talent.

For me, writing was a way to funnel my creativity. There would be times I could dream up something awesome and write down the ideas as soon as I woke up and from that I could find ways to dream a new story, literally.

Style is something that has changed for me over time. When I was young, my style was not very defined. I wrote in simple sentences and used simplistic language. My writing was bland. Now, I try to make my stories flow and use language that helps describe situations, the environment, and to really help bring the writing to life. It takes practice and a lot of dedication to improve, as any art form does and classes have helped my writing tremendously. Classes in college have shaped my writing and I absolutely love each memory of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment