Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 1 Storybook Favorites

The first project I am going to discuss is Magical Mermaid Tales. The page itself captured me at first with color schemes of the ocean and beautiful artwork of a mermaid. Each part of the storybook was beautifully illustrated, which really added to the story for me because I felt like I could really capture the images that the writing painted for me in my mind. The conch shell is able to show Estelle the world she does not live in, a world of mermaids. Each mermaid story shows a different side to mermaid life and some of it is beautiful while on the other hand, some of it is dark! It really kept my attention and I loved the idea of the observer being able to see these through the magic of the shell. It really drive me into a new direction of experience from the classic "The Little Mermaid" of Disney's!

The second project I found that really caught my attention is Devil May Care! The style of writing was a bit different for me, in a more direct language towards the reader. It really captivated me and kept me reading! The author incorporated two forms of writing and it worked out brilliantly. I actually started reading in hopes it would reference a popular video game by Capcom, "Devil May Cry" because I recognized it and it did have references to it! I was ecstatic to see a photo of one person's art from the game used. Hooray! The stories are compilations told about the Tales of the Trickster From Around the World! I really enjoyed the perspective the author put it in, giving a background to the Trickster's history and his games from different tales.

The third project I will discuss is Biblical Bad Girls and I chose this because of the title first. After all, it's catchy, don't you think? She begins with giving you an insight of diary entries from women in biblical times, really capturing your attention with questions to think about. Especially like the question of why Eve ate the apple in the first place! The diaries really give some good insight into the character's minds and each one describes a different "bad girl!" All the characters I was mostly familiar with having studied the topic for a good part of my life and so I really enjoyed reading this storybook.



Overall tons of the storybooks look super interesting! These were just a few that stood out to me among many.

No comments:

Post a Comment