Thursday, November 20, 2014

Week 15: Reading

I loved the fantasy based stories in this class. Of course, being mythology, that is easy! Being able to follow the suggestions for Fairy Tales, etc. was so helpful because it made it easy for me to find stories relevant to my interests. 

It became easier as time went on to make diary posts because I realized I should focus on just the ones that stand out to me rather than the whole unit. I was too focused on knowing what each story meant than focusing on the ones that I could potentially use for my storytelling.

I did not do a lot of the full reading because I did not like doing it. I preferred reading half a unit then focusing on the writing portion of the class, but I think that is because I mostly enjoyed writing and making new stories based off prompts and the readings. It could be personal to me on that note.

I think offering a reading assignment as extra credit could make up for missing reading during the week, especially for the people that enjoy the reading section of the course more than the writing section!

STAY AHEAD! WORK AHEAD! FINISH EARLY! Be at least a week ahead at all times. Sometimes things come up and it can really mess up your online schedule if you aren't ahead.



For the UnTextbook of Myth-Folklore, I loved having it. It was so amazing to not have to buy extra things and books for this class and it gave us access to SO MUCH INFORMATION!!! 

I did not read many of the notes anyway for the sections because I would just glimpse stories and see if it was to my liking. However, I do like the introductions to the stories because it gave us vital information such as if there are words we would not know the meaning or unclear concepts. The introduction posts actually helped me TONS.

I think adding images helps break the stories up and give us some reading relief. So yes! They are important!

If I have any suggestions for new units, I would say maybe Russian culture. ;) But that is just because I have a Russian minor. The folklore is incredible from Russia though and might give people some insight they didn't have before.

Anthology units with different themes would've been fantastic for me!!! I think that is an excellent idea for future semesters because love stories and hero stories are amazing topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment